[CentOS] Semi-OT: install python package in userspace

Mon Apr 9 16:32:05 UTC 2018

On 04/09/18 11:15, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>>> Does CentOS changed the package management? :-)
>>
>> Quite.
>>
>> This is not an Ubuntu dig, but when I challenge some of the users
>> about the more dangerous sudo's they try, inevitably they say they got
>> the command from the net, and by that they usually mean Ubuntu forums.
>
> Whether the instructions come from the Ubuntu forums or not, we
> regularly experience the same thing: users unthinkingly following
> instructions in a REAME or posted on a web page. My experience suggests
> these folks are just on autopilot.

Sadly, people became zombies. The ability to categorize (hence use the
menu) is wiped completely. Even the majority of "modern" Desktop
Environment interfaces expect you to search for what you need instead of
giving the menu: everything arranged by category. That's why I switched
to MATE quite a while ago. I guess, I didn't blend in into iPad
generation...

Soon we will ask google how much money we have in our wallet ;-)

Valeri

> We don't even follow up any more on
> most of the alerts; they'll ask us if it's important. So we rarely give
> out sudo on shared systems and when we do there's some "extreme vetting"
> going on.
>
> Also, Python has such a mature virtual-environment setup that more
> publicly posted instructions are using that route anyway.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247