[CentOS] Semi-OT: install python package in userspace

Tue Apr 10 08:09:17 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 09:15 -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > > Does CentOS changed the package management? :-)
> >
> > Quite.
> >
> > This is not an Ubuntu dig, but when I challenge some of the users
> > about the more dangerous sudo's they try, inevitably they say they
> > got the command from the net, and by that they usually mean Ubuntu
> > forums.
>
> Whether the instructions come from the Ubuntu forums or not, we
> regularly experience the same thing: users unthinkingly following
> instructions in a REAME or posted on a web page. My experience
> suggests these folks are just on autopilot. We don't even follow up
> any more on most of the alerts; they'll ask us if it's important. So
> we rarely give out sudo on shared systems and when we do there's some
> "extreme vetting" going on.

I very rarely follow up as well - it's just when they do something
blatantly dangerous or when they do something multiple times.

> Also, Python has such a mature virtual-environment setup that more
> publicly posted instructions are using that route anyway.

I've stopped installing random python modules - if it's not in the
standard repositories the users are told to install it in their $HOME.
If nothing else it's a good learning experience to do it.

P.