[CentOS] Windows PC PostScript printer driver -> CUPS data import fails

Thu Apr 12 15:18:46 UTC 2018
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

On Thursday 12 April 2018 16:06:06 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Yan Li wrote:
> >
> > It seems that .findfont can't find a font file that the PS file is
> > asking for. Is it possible that your Windows 10 is printing using some
> > new fonts that your CentOS doesn't have?

That would make sense

> > I'd try:
> > 1. Use ps2ascii instead of ps2pdf+pdftotext.

I did first try ps2ascii as it was the most obvious choice. However, it gave
nothing like the output I was expecting.

ps2pdf + pdftotext -layout gives me almost exactly how the report originally
looked, apart from the occassional alignment issue.

> > 2. Copy all font files from Windows 10 to your CentOS. Maybe put them in
> > ~/.fonts and see if that could make ps2pdf happy.
>
> I'd recommend, to start, installing msttcorefonts, and see if that helps.

Thanks for this. I will try these two options if I need to.

However, I have found in Windows 10 there is a printer driver Microsoft "Print
to PDF" which creates a PDF file without the initial PS stage. This is better
because it now keeps some of the non-display characters that the original
method lost.