[CentOS] Nvidia-detect error with on HP Z4 (CentOS 6.9)

Fri Apr 13 18:50:06 UTC 2018
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 13/04/18 16:21, Danny Smit wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Danny, I'm the author of nvidia-detect.

> I'm testing an installation of nvidia drivers on a HP Z4 workstation
> (nvidia Quadro P600) with CentOS 6.9. Running nvidia-detect with this
> setup gives the following output:
>
>    # nvidia-detect
>    Error getting device_class

nvidia-detect scans the pci bus and checks the returned device_class for
display controllers. In your case, the scan is not returning any devices
(or rather the device_class for any pci devices)

> nvidia-detect also quits with exit-code 255.

The internal error checking is displaying the above error message and
exiting with the appropriate error code, as intended.

> Could this be a bug in nvidia-detect? Or is it an unsupported configuration?

Good question, and I've no idea why it's not working on your machine.

> The following hardware is detected, it seems some sort of unknown
> Intel device is detected by the OS:
>
>    # lspci | grep VGA
>    00:1f.5 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device a2a4
>    21:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1cb2 (rev a1)
>
>    # lspci -n | egrep '00:1f.5|21:00.0'
>    00:1f.5 0000: 8086:a2a4
>    21:00.0 0300: 10de:1cb2 (rev a1)
>
> Tested with the following version (with equal results):
>
>    nvidia-detect-390.25-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>    nvidia-detect-390.48-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

Your device is supported:

$ nvidia-detect -l | grep -i 1cb2
[10de:1cb2] NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P600]

Support was added in the 375.39 NVIDIA driver. I assume the driver works
as expected for you?

If you are able to offer any more clues, please feel free to open a bug
report on elrepo.org/bugs for us to track. Happy to help if I can.

Phil