[CentOS] Vmware - Slightly off topic

Tue Apr 24 20:34:19 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 08:02:19PM +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <CABr8-B6fcNgogynq66nNMkSLCHAtqA4OrL09XY6ABPRV4H+ZQw at mail.gmail.com>,
> Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > What is the correct way to provide a CentOS 7 - WMware image for ESX ?
> >
> > As an amateur to VMware - I thought - great I can get VMplayer and ESX
> > should be able to import my image... Wrong... I even went through the
> > trouble of "converting" to VMWare workstation and thinking ESX could import
> > that - Apparently still Wrong...  I cannot for the life of me understand
> > how one product family is so incompatible with itself. But that is another
> > story.
> >
> > I just want to be able to provide a pre-built image with CentOS 7 and my
> > other programs on a bootable VMware image that is easily imported into any
> > VMware platform - Workstation, ESX or other.
> >
> > How is that accomplished ?
> > Thanks for your thoughts and experience.
>
> Looking at the results for https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+export+a+vmware+image
> it looks like you need to export a built, working VM as an OVF.
>
> Not sure which VMware products can do that. Possibly Workstation? The old, free
> VMware server 1.0.10 that I use doesn't appear to have that feature.
>
> You should then be able to copy the OVF file to another VMware host an import it.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Or,if push comes to shove, you can rebuild it in VirtualBox and
do an export to OVF from there.

It might be possible to import the existing VM into VirtualBox, and
if so it MIGHT let you do an OVF export. no guarantees, I've not
tried doing that particular thing.

Good luck!

Fred

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."