[CentOS] Finding user's files

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 1 15:47:37 UTC 2018

Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On 08/01/18 10:10, mark wrote:
>
>> This is among the things we need to do when a user leaves, and it's a
>> larger question than it sounds. Our Office has many servers, with a good
>>  number of fileservers for projects, with large filesystems (i.e. 10's
>> of TB). Can anyone think of a way *other* than running what's probably a
>>  many-hour long find / -user on all our systems, which is really
>> intensive, to find all the files own by a given user?
>>
>> Locate would be great, but from the man pages and what I can find
>> online, it only stores filenames and paths.
>
> If you want to be rigorous with result (and I for one would), avoid
> locate: that one is using database which is updated how often? *hmm*,
> once a week.
>
> find is the only command I will use for the task (and I definitely will
> use -uid instead of -user, just in case I already deleted user on one of
> the boxes I look for the user stuff, whereas numeric userid is what is
> there in file/directory attributes). I also wil look for stuff owned by
> user's individual group (separate command with -gid argument, as I may
> want to deal with these differently).

Well, we do have to be rigorous, or we'll get dinged by security about it,
and as a federal agency, there are laws. That being said, we're talking
about every time someone leaves, and we can't just delete, since these
were for projects, and programs, scripts, data and results should *not* go
away, but need to be given to someone else.

I found the other post, about robinhood, interesting, but it doesn't seem
to be in any of the std. repos.

I'm not worried about it being update once a week (actually, I thought
that happened every night), since we've got over a month to deal with it.

One solution that hit me was to fork locate, and add UID and GID, and
update that weekly, or so, which would work.

Still hoping for a package; don't need to reinvent the wheel, and I can't
believe no one's run into this before.