[CentOS] rsync versioning problem

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Aug 3 16:17:41 UTC 2018

On Aug 3, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

>> You haven’t needed "-e ssh” since rsync 2.6.0, which made it the default.  It was released in 2004.
>
> How do I specify -p and -l that I cut out of my example?

Add it to ~/.ssh/config:

    Host nevia.htt-consult.com
        Port 2222
        User rmoskowitz

You might not think of rsync as paying attention to this file, which is correct, because it doesn’t.  But since it is executing ssh under the hood, and ssh *does* pay attention to that file, it takes effect.

If you’re creating that file for the first time, be sure to chmod 600 it.  Ssh will ignore it if it’s not locked-down.  RTFM for details.

>>> /var/flexshare/shares x.htt-consult.com:/media/backup/homebase/var/flexshare/shares/
>> Rsync won’t create multiple levels of directories on the target.  It will only create up to one level of missing directories.  Try this:
>>
>>     $ ssh x.htt-consult.com 'mkdir -p /media/backup/homebase/var/flexshare/shares/'
>
> Oh?  I have been doing this in one shape or form for a long time.

Let me clarify:

If only /media/backup exists on the remote machine, I believe you’ll end up with /media/backup/shares with that command.

If at least /media/backup/homebase/var/flexshare exists, rsync will always create “shares” under “flexshare" on the remote host.

Anything below that level will also be created, regardless of depth.  I’m speaking only of the target path given as the last argument to rsync here, not of the source machine’s directories discovered during the sync process.

It’s possible this behavior changed since I last looked at it.  I ran into this issue many years ago and now ensure that the target path passed to the rsync command exists on the remote host before starting the sync.