[CentOS] Back to Xfce

Tony Schreiner anthony.schreiner at bc.edu
Mon Aug 6 15:51:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
wrote:

> On 08/06/2018 11:11 AM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Nicolas,
> >>
> >> Thank you!  But I am Dyslexic and very mono-linguistic; at least I could
> >> read the actual commands, if not all the wonderful comments...

> >> instead to

> >> I switched to Xfce with Fedora 20 and have put up with Gnome on my
> >> Centos systems so far.

> unnecessary
> >>>

> https://github.com/kikinovak/centos-7-desktop-xfce/blob/master/postinstall.sh
> -
> >> I don't have an x86_64 machine with Centos on it.  I would have to play
> >> with Qemu VM for centos on this Fedora 28 notebook.  All my servers
> >> (other than the ClearOS one) are ARM.
> >>
> >> The armhfp repos (including epel) do not have either the "X Windows
> >> System" or "Xfce" (and any sub-groups that calls).  So I am asking for
> >> the content of those groups.  Hopefully the source scripts so I can
> >> modify them (as needed) for armhfp.
> >>
> >> It would seem that there is a source file somewhere in the source tree
> >> with the script(s) contents.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>

> > In the file
> >
> 5307666922f0cd10058b04791f3f596cfcaab48df6fdd6cf847f349bd455e0bd-comps-Everything.x86_64.xml
> > from the repodata in the Epel 7 repository there is the following for the
> > Xfce group, is this helpful to you?
>
> Yes!  I can pull out the rpm list and build a file to feed into yum.
>
> Can you point out the URL for all the groups?  I am also going to need
> the "X Windows System" group, I believe (and should compare it to the
> Server GUI group).
>
> Thanks

The comps file i searched was (for example)

http://fedora-epel.mirror.lstn.net/7/x86_64/repodata/5307666922f0cd10058b04791f3f596cfcaab48df6fdd6cf847f349bd455e0bd-comps-Everything.x86_64.xml

you can choose any Fedora/Epel mirror

But the "X Window System" group is in CentOS base, look for one of those
mirrors (for example)
http://mirror.atlanticmetro.net/centos/7.5.1804/os/x86_64/repodata/d87379a47bc2060f833000b9cef7f9670195fe197271d37fce5791e669265e8b-c7-x86_64-comps.xml

do
grep "<name>"  your-comps.xml-fil
to see all the names
then page it and search for "X Window System" in your case