[CentOS] How do I actaully get the current sources from centos-git?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Aug 15 20:59:18 UTC 2018

On 08/06/2018 08:15 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to retrieve the srpm for the latest centos-release pacakge
> from centos-git by following the instructions @
> https://wiki.centos.org/Sources.
>
> If I run the following commands:
> git clone  https://git.centos.org/git/rpms/centos-release.git
> cd centos-release/
> git checkout c7
> ~/centos-git-common/get_sources.sh
>
> Everything completes without error. The problem is that the sources that
> get
> downloaded are not for 1804.
>
> (vgeppetto2 pts21) $ ll SOURCES/ SPECS/
> SOURCES/:
> total 28
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mock mock  1584 Aug  6 08:19 1000-centos-release-cr.patch
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mock mock   264 Aug  6 08:19 85-display-manager.preset
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mock mock  2439 Aug  6 08:19 90-default.preset
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mock mock 12799 Aug  6 08:20 centos-release-7-1.1503.tar.gz
>
> SPECS/:
> total 8
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mock mock 6471 Aug  6 08:19 centos-release.spec
> (vgeppetto2 pts21) $grep "define upstream_rel" SPECS/centos-release.spec
> %define upstream_rel 7.3
> (vgeppetto2 pts21) $
>
> So if I am reading things correctly, it looks like the SOURCES are for
> 1503 and the spec file is for 1611.
>
> Can someone please explain to me how to actually get the current SOURCES
> and SPEC for centos-release-7-5.1804.1 from centos git?
>
> To be clear I know I can get the srpm from vault but I would like to
> understand
> how to work centos git.
>
> Regards,

The issue is specifically with the ability to push sources to
git.centos.org in the shadow cache.

I can't do that in the current setup, only Red Hat RCM can.  I can push
text into git, but not binary files to shadow cache.

The only package impacted is centos-release, because it is the only
package that we actually change the tarball and where I would need to
push to shadow cache.

If I push the spec changes, but not the shadow cache changes, it renders
centos-release not buildable.

We are working on an update whereby I will be able to push the changes
to git.centos.org .. when we get that in place, I will maintain
centos-release there like all the other packages.

In the mean time, we have a 'unified centos-release' here in git (for
all c7 arches):

https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-AltArch/tree/master/centos-release

You will still need to download the SRPM to get the tarball.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes