[CentOS] Packaging a library for 64-bit or multilib

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Aug 21 12:24:22 UTC 2018

How does "make install" with autotools decide which directory libraries
should go in?

I haven't packaged anything since 32-bit (ie. a few years ago), and I now
need to re-package a new version of a library I'd used before with CentOS 6
32-bit on CentOS 7 64-bit.

The library is pxlib (http://pxlib.sourceforge.net/), which reads and
writes old Borland Paradox database files.

I've managed to fix 64-bit issues in the C sources. When I go to package
the RPM, it runs configure and make and "make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}
install". The install step puts the resulting libraries in /usr/lib, not
/usr/lib64 where the %files step looks.

I'm not familiar with autotools, so I don't know where to look to fix the
install step to put the libraries in the correct directory. How does
make/configure or whatever figure that out? Do I need to change the %prep
step to run autotools to write the correct library directory for configure,
or does configure need to be hacked to write the correct directory into the
Makefiles? Maybe configure needs to be regenerated with a more recent
autotools?