[CentOS] OT: Linux recommendations for old Pentium PC

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 15:47:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, mark wrote:

> CentOS will work, but you might start with minimal (but make sure it
> includes networking).
>
> Please note that I installed CentOS 6, just a few months ago, on an HP
> Netbook from '09, and it runs perfectly well.
>
>      mark "see? I didn't say anything about systemd...."

CentOS 6 requires a PAE supporting CPU.  Subject referenced Pentium CPU.

Pentiums do not support PAE, and so would not run CentOS 6 without fun and
games and an alternative kernel.

I previously had a Dell X1 with a Pentium M CPU, which also didn't advertise
PAE support, so couldn't run the stock CentOS 6 kernel, which made
installation a little more interesting.

If you're really stubborn, there are options for mashing it on anyway, but I'm
not sure I'd bother.  In my case I think I just ran anaconda within C5 to
install C6 onto another LV, put a non-PAE kernel on, then booted into the C6
install.

jh