[CentOS] OT: Linux recommendations for old Pentium PC

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 31 17:40:30 UTC 2018

On 8/31/18 12:09 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:

>> Am 31.08.2018 um 16:29 schrieb Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>:
>>
>> I've got a very small footprint rack server with a 4TB drive in that I wish to
>> be a Bacula storeage device. However, it's got an old board / processor in
>> it.
>
> We use mysql as database backend for bacula, and it becomes heavy loaded,
> over time especially wenn restoring respectively generating filelists. So,
> not sure if such old CPU provides enough compute power ...

This is important for the machine hosting director. If database is
hosted on different machine even that shouldn't be awfully loaded in my
opinion. As far as the box hosting storage daemon is concerned, that
dosn't need much of resources (like CPU or RAM - unless one uses NFS
which I wouldn't), the only things to pay attention for that box would
be network connection capacity and/or filesystem speed, whichever
becomes a bottleneck.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

> --