[CentOS] OT: Linux recommendations for old Pentium PC

Jay Hart jhart at kevla.org
Fri Aug 31 20:07:06 UTC 2018

My recommendation, take it for what its worth:

32-bit distros to me are a short lived proposition IMO.

Example: I'm running Centos 6, 32-bit version. I recently ran into an issue where a package
(clamav) started using a 64-bit library for decompression of files. End result, end of scanning
for email viruses as this lib won't run on 32-bit AND, the lib hasn't been updated for 32-bits in
6 years.

Forced to move to Centos 7 to get 64-bit libs.  Centos 6 is still a viable supported OS until end
of 2019 or 2020.

So, ditch the box and get something that runs 64-bit..Your time will be better spent!!!

Jay