[CentOS] Certificates

Fri Aug 31 17:47:23 UTC 2018
Chuck Campbell <campbell at accelinc.com>

I am getting myself confused, and need someone who fully understands
this process to help me out a bot.

I would like to obtain an ssl certificate, so I can run my own imap
server on a machine in my office.

My domain is hosted by networksolutions, but I don't run my imap server
there.

I am assuming I'll need to pay a CA to generate what I need, but I'm
confused about what I need. I am running dovecot at teh moment, but my
clients (iphone, windows laptops) say my ssl connection is not trusted.
The phone just won't connect.

I tried emailing the dovecot.pem file to my phone and installing it, but
it just says it is not trusted.

This leads me to obtaining a real CA issued certificate. I'm not sure
what to do with it, once I get one, and then if I need to subsequently
regenerate my dovecot.pem file??

Thanks,

-chuck