[CentOS] Why the new centos-release update?

Tue Aug 14 14:37:35 UTC 2018
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 08/03/2018 07:58 AM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> Just curious about this after seeing the following output of a typical
> "yum upgrade":
>
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package centos-release.x86_64 0:7-5.1804.el7.centos.2 will be updated
> ---> Package centos-release.x86_64 0:7-5.1804.1.el7.centos will be an
> update
> ...etc...
>
> After downloading the 2 centos-release RPMs, the content appears
> identical.  I was assuming there'd at least be differences with yum
> definitions, GPG keys, or something like that.
>
> Was it just to fix some naming inconsistency or something?

The new one (and newer still) are required for the alt arches ..
specifically to roll in SIG content and allow the SIGs to build from the
SRPMs and have it work on other than x86_64.  The actual x86_64 content
remains unchanged .. BUT .. we are using now a 'unified' centos-release
source code for all arches (x86_64 and the AltArches as well):

https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-AltArch/tree/master/centos-release

The latest update the centos-release .. hopefully the last until the
next point release (7-5.1804.4.el7.centos), will allow us to support the
power9 arch with the kernel-alt (a 4.14 kernel) and a newer anaconda
(both also used in aarch64).

The latest centos-release also allows for better Atomic Host integration
iwth this added for all arches:

https://pagure.io/fedora-release/pull-request/102#request_diff

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes