[CentOS] OpenLDAP support in future versions of CentOS

Tue Aug 28 19:48:57 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 14:56, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Patrick Laimbock wrote:
> > On 28-08-18 17:51, Alicia Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> I just joined this mailing list, so I apologize in advance if this
> >> topic has already been covered.
> >>
> >> Red Hat and Suse announced they are no longer supporting OpenLDAP in
> >> future releases. https://www.ostechnix.com/redhat-and-suse-announced-to-
> >> withdraw-support-for-openldap/
> >>
> >> However, we mainly use CentOS and while it's a RH derivative, I wanted
> >> to find out what CentOS plans on doing in this regard. Will you continue
> >> to include OpenLDAP or will it simply be removed?
> >
> >> I wasn't able to find any CentOS related articles in response to this,
> >> and the only thing I did find that said CentOS hasn't released whether
> >> they will continue to support it or not is from two years ago?
> >>
> >> https://daasi.de/en/2017/09/25/red-hat-wont-continue-openldap-support-r
> >> hel-8-daasi-international-supports-migration/
> >>
> >> Any updates/feedback/information is appreciated :)
> >>
> > In addition to Johnny's feedback, here's my 2 cents. On the OpenLDAP
> > mailing list users with problems with RHEL/CentOS provided OpenLDAP have
> > been advised for years to use the latest OpenLDAP RPMs from
> > https://ltb-project.org/ or from https://symas.com which also provides
> > paid support. The OpenLDAP version included in RHEL 7 (and thus CentOS 7)
> > is 2.4.44 which is missing a ton of fixes compared to upstream's latest
> > release.
> >
> > tl;dr use the latest RPMs from the LTB Project or Hymas.
> >
> Ok, problem for me: all our servers and workstation are connected to the
> AD. If I need to check on something, I'll run ldapsearch, which is from
> openldap-clients. Is there any advice of what we're supposed to use
> instead?

First off, you have years to figure it out. While it is "deprecated"
in RHEL-7.5, that just means that the next major (not minor) release
will not have it.

Second there is an ldapsearch in 389. It is 'buried' at the moment
because it would conflict with the shipped one and I don't know if it
will move:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/Examples-of-common-ldapsearches.html

--
Stephen J Smoogen.