[CentOS] TUTORIAL: How to Install Apache Web Server in CentOS 7.5 (1805) Linux in Amazon AWS Cloud with URL/HTTP/HTTPS Redirection

Fri Aug 31 00:36:16 UTC 2018
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:17 AM +0000 Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En
Ming <turritopsis.dohrnii at teo-en-ming.com> wrote:

> 43. Go to the main Apache web server configuration directory:
>
> cd /etc/httpd/conf
>
> 44. Edit the main Apache web server configuration file:
>
> sudo nano httpd.conf
>
> 45. Append the following code to the end of httpd.conf:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> 	ServerName blogger.teo-en-ming.com
> 	Redirect / https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Alternative Code:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> 	ServerName wordpress.teo-en-ming.com
> 	Redirect / https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com
> </VirtualHost>

No. Use the packaging system to avoid editing distribution-provided files.
Avoid editing /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. In this case, add new files under
/etc/httpd/conf.d for each virtual host. You could name them blogspot.conf
and wordpress.conf.

> 59. Go to Apache web server alternative configuration directory:
>
> cd /etc/httpd/conf.d
>
> 60. Edit the Apache web server Secure Socket Layer (SSL) configuration
> file:
>
> sudo nano ssl.conf
>
> 61. Find the section that says <VirtualHost _default_:443>
>
> 62. Insert the following code:
>
> ServerName blogger.teo-en-ming.com
> Redirect / https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg
>
> Alternative Code:
>
> ServerName wordpress.teo-en-ming.com
> Redirect / https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com

Same issue here. I hate that ssl.conf includes both general SSL settings
and a vhost. Split the vhost into its own file and make your edits there.

Don't remove ssl.conf entirely or the next "yum update" will restore the
default version! (Yeah, I've been burned by that.) If you really want to
remove that file without removing the module, replace it with an empty file
so yum won't re-install the default one at the next update.