[CentOS] Certificates

Fri Aug 31 21:30:53 UTC 2018

On 08/31/2018 01:47 PM, Chuck Campbell wrote:
> I am getting myself confused, and need someone who fully understands
> this process to help me out a bot.
>
> I would like to obtain an ssl certificate, so I can run my own imap
> server on a machine in my office.
>
> My domain is hosted by networksolutions, but I don't run my imap
> server there.
>

> I am assuming I'll need to pay a CA to generate what I need, but I'm
> confused about what I need. I am running dovecot at teh moment, but my
> clients (iphone, windows laptops) say my ssl connection is not
> trusted. The phone just won't connect.
>
> I tried emailing the dovecot.pem file to my phone and installing it,
> but it just says it is not trusted.
>
> This leads me to obtaining a real CA issued certificate. I'm not sure
> what to do with it, once I get one, and then if I need to subsequently
> regenerate my dovecot.pem file??

Many large companies run their own CA and install their own root
certificate.  Often installing a root cert is easier than installing a
self-signed independent cert.  There is much written about building your
own CA and a number of tools for that like openCA.  I can't speak for
all your devices or apps, but there should be ways....

In personal promotion, I have been doing my own CA work for ECDSA certs
and now for EDDSA certs (and I wonder what commercial CAs are providing
them).  See my Internet draft:

draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki

And my github for pending updates to this and the new eddsa-pki draft
(to be published after openSSL 1.1.1 is released).

https://github.com/rgmhtt/draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki
https://github.com/rgmhtt/draft-moskowitz-eddsa-pki

Or go to openCA or look at other CA toolkits available on Centos and Fedora.

Letsencrypt is a very important development, but it has (IMHO) a shaking
foundation.  I would not build a production system around it.  But then
I have lived in aspects of PKI since '95...