[CentOS] DNS bind - use of /etc/named directory

J Martin Rushton martinrushton56 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 4 10:08:31 UTC 2018

On 04/12/18 09:41, John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 08:19 +0000, J Martin Rushton via CentOS wrote:
>> The '/etc/named.conf.rpmnew' file supplied is a bare minimum to
>> "configure the ... server as a caching only nameserver (as a localhost
>> DNS resolver only)".  As soon as you start adding any structure to it
>> things change, not just are added to.  See
>> '/usr/share/doc/bind-*/sample/etc/named.conf' for example.  Probably the
>> biggest "gotcha" is that as soon as you use _any_ views you MUST use
>> views for _all_ zones.
>>
>> If you were to move the default '/etc/named.conf.rpmnew' to
>> '/etc/named.conf' and add an 'include "/etc/named/*";', line as you
>> suggest, you would be building problems for the future.  Let's say you
>> dropped in 'internal.conf' which had a simple 'view "internal" stanza -
>> then your root hints, localhost, localhost IPV6 and reverse localhosts
>> would disappear.  Just what you wouldn't want at 00:51 !
>>
>> What you can do safely is to include the zone definitions in a separate
>> file (see '/etc/named.rfc1912.zones' for example) and include that file.
>>  Doing things this way means that your main configuration file can be
>> written to either use views or not, and to just include your zone
>> definitions in the appropriate place.  See the sample file for an example.
>>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> However, we don't use views and the local settings are not for zones. We do
> currently have a separate zone file, but again that requires an 'include' in
> the main '/etc/named.conf'. If a local settings file (in '/etc/named') could be
> used, then we would simply 'include' the zone file in that. Ultimately, the
> main named.conf file would remain untouched.
>
> John.

Since I don't know your particular configuration, the above was of
necessity rather general.  That though is the point, the default named
installation has to be generic and cover everything from a basic
installation up to a major cluster with multiple networks.  I suspect
that in your case there will be no advance on diff(1) and vi(1)!

Regards,
Martin

>> On 04/12/18 00:51, John Horne wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For many years we have modified the '/etc/named.conf' file to include local
>>> settings. The disadvantage with this is of course that when bind is
>>> updated, it
>>> creates an '/etc/named.conf.rpmnew' file. We then have to determine what is
>>> new, and apply the relevant changes to our modified named.conf file.
>>>
>>> There is, however, an '/etc/named' directory which I assumed was for local
>>> configuration settings. The main '/etc/named.conf' file makes no mention of
>>> this directory, so (I suspect) any config files in '/etc/named' would, by
>>> default, just be ignored.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell we could put our local configuration settings into a
>>> file
>>> in '/etc/named', but we would then, once again, have to modify
>>> '/etc/named.conf' to tell it to include config files in '/etc/named'. We
>>> would
>>> then be back at square one in that any bind update would create an 'rpmnew'
>>> file.
>>>
>>> I admit I haven't actually tested this, but has anyone used the
>>> '/etc/named'
>>> directory and not had to modify the main '/etc/named.conf' file?
>>>
>>> I suspect, if not, then this should be raised as a possible bug since it
>>> would
>>> make sense not to have to modify the main configuration file at all.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information
>>> Services
>>> University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK
>>> [