[CentOS] [OT] EPEL update?

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Tue Dec 4 17:08:52 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-12-03 at 07:44 -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 06:00, isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > OT for this list, but maybe I can get some pointers - how hard is
> > it to get some packages updated in EPEL? The project web site sends
> > you from link to link, and the ML web interface is horrible. No
> > interest here to become a package maintainer or regular
> > contributor.
> >

> If you have interest in being a package maintainer or regular
> contributor it can be very hard to get packages updated. EPEL is
> trying to mainly deal with people who want long term supported
> package
> sets with limited manpower to do so.
>
> > I have taken it upon myself to rebuild MATE from Fedora 29, seeing
> > that the current EPEL-7 packages are four revisions behind. Also
> > updated a few packages to their latest upstream version.
>
> If you are needing the latest upstream versions... I would say you
> are
> probably going to need to maintain these things yourself. As much as
> you want/need the latest MATE or some other item there are other
> people who don't and EPEL package maintainers can't satisfy both
> demands.

The problem is that the current version of Mate in the EPEL repos
prevents updating from 7.5 to 7.6. There is a dependency problem with
libgtop.

For example trying to update marco gives you.

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package marco.x86_64 0:1.16.1-3.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libgtop-2.0.so.10()(64bit) for package:
marco-1.16.1-3.el7.x86_64
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: marco-1.16.1-3.el7.x86_64 (epel)
           Requires: libgtop-2.0.so.10()(64bit)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

The same dependency holds for several mate packages.

So either hold back on the update until mate is updated or build it
yourself are the choices..

Regards,

Tony.

--