[CentOS] CR repo update disaster for my desktop.

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Dec 5 08:30:32 UTC 2018

On 5/12/18 4:17 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> No idea if this xorg problem relates to my original workstation - so on
>> that machine I did a downgrade of xorg* - seemed to complete ok, but on
>> reboot and login - still the same problem.
>>
>> As the only clue in the logs is the libc segfault I did a downgrade of
>> glibc - this too seemed to work but no change to the system - gnome
>> crashes after 5 - 10 seconds.
>>
>> Wasted far too much time on this, no idea what to do now so I have done
>> a fresh 7.5 install and all works again - just need to install all the
>> additional stuff I use each day, but at least I have a desktop that
>> functions.
>>
>> I will wait until 7.6 is officially released, watch the list for a week
>> or two and then with much fear and trepidation give it a go. <sad face>
>>
>> As a long time user of CentOS (well over a decade - I started with 5.x
>> workstations, then had a couple of 6.x, and used two 7.x machines, not
>> counting my servers), I must observe that the core server stuff "just
>> works" e.g. mail, mysql / mariadb, postfix, dovecot, apache, php. Even
>> the migration to libreoffice was okay.
>>
>> The major version upgrades each gave an all over better desktop
>> experience. What has also happened however is that some of the 7.x
>> upgrades have been difficult to deal with - one of the recent firefox
>> updates lost all my local password databases which I do not back up to
>> the cloud for obvious reasons. Unable to resolve the instability after
>> many hours of testing and trialing combinations, I have left firefox and
>> moved to vivaldi - we'll see how that works. As upstream seems to
>> include more bleeding edge versions of major desktop utilities such as
>> firefox, stability has been compromised.
>>
>> Now with this latest CR update, I have no idea if it is gnome, gdm, xorg
>> or some other component, but to have two quite differently configured
>> machines both loose their desktops, I am unhappy. The use of roll back
>> of over 800 files just didn't pass the transaction test thus that too
>> was futile.
>>
>> I thought the approach I used with my laptop today was sufficiently
>> cautious, yet it caught me and I am still trying to work out what to do
>> next.
>>
>> As always, happy to entertain ideas and suggestions. My main workstation
>> however is now safely working at a clean install of 7.5, thus cannot do
>> further tests there, life must go on, four days of down time is far too
>> much.
>>
>> Also let me give a heartfelt thanks to the hard working CentOS team, I
>> see the more and more difficult task you need to navigate with each
>> major update, you do an outstanding task, and I am most grateful!
> The big question remains, what did you install which is not part of the
> base CentOS distribution? You mentioned vivaldi browser, Nvidia stuff,
> what else did you install from EPEL or other sources? I mean, is it
> possible in your case that something causes problems now which is not part
It is possible - I have now got a new clean install of 7.5 and am slowly
making that workable, thus unable to do further testing until I do the
7.6 upgrade, which I will hold off until Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1650634
is resolved - this looks like the exact issue my laptop has stumbled in
to. Will need to use a rescue USB to try the xorg downgrade on that as
it also crashes the keyboard.