[CentOS] CR repo update disaster for my desktop.

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Dec 5 08:34:25 UTC 2018

On 5/12/18 5:30 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:54:58PM +1300, Rob Kampen wrote:
>> So in an effort to narrow down the problem I also have an old Samsung laptop
>> - i5 with an nvidia card - all up-to-date 7.5 - I thought I would try a more
>> conservative upgrade approach.
>>
>> first updated to the CR kernel with yum upgrade kernel*
>>
>> then after successful reboot did an update to gdm* and gnome*
>>
>> another reboot and all is well
>>
>> then update of xorg* (only 20 files)
>>
>> Now it will not boot - keyboard is non responsive so cannot even do a Ctrl
>> Alt F2 to access a shell. Old kernel is also non boot. Left this machine for
>> now and back to my main desktop workstation.
> Where does it stop booting?  Can you remove 'rhgb quiet' from the
> kernel command line and see how it is booting?  Also, are you using
> UEFI boot or the old BIOS boot?

on the laptop it seems I have the Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1650634
problem. It is bios boot.

My workstation has UEFI boot, but it has now been clean installed with
7.5 and until there is a fix to the above bugzilla i'll hold off on
doing much other than update the kernel.

Thanks for response, i will use the removal of rhgb quiet.