[CentOS] Can't configure GDM after update to CentOS 7.6

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Thu Dec 6 14:24:28 UTC 2018

Jonathan Billings wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 10:01:25AM +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Now with CentOS 7.6 this doesn't work anymore. The /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d
>> directory is nowhere to be found, and I'm currently mildly cursing the
>> GNOME developers' (and Red Hat's) policy of releasing moving targets.
>> Until now, the whole purpose of Enterprise Linux seemed to be low-risk
>> updates. </rant>
>
> While the /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/ directory doesn't exist, I've got many
> RHEL7.6 and CentOS 7.6 systems where GDM behaves the same way as
> before, as long as you create /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/ and put the files
> in there, and as soon as you run 'dconf update', you see it change.
>
> I'm not sure why the /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/ and
> /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/locks/ directory aren't owned by a package
> anymore, that seems like a bug, but as far as I can tell, GDM
> continues to get its information from there.

I suspect it might be something that has been left out in the rebase to
GDM 3.28.1 - an earlier change log for GDM has:

* Thu Jun 25 2015 Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com> 3.14.2-4
- Make sure user customizations to gdm via /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d
   continue to work following rebase.
   Related: #1174564

So, I'm guessing that something similar was left out with this change
from 3.26 to 3.28 ?

Maybe a bug report to https://bugzilla.redhat.com is needed ?

James Pearson