[CentOS] KVM Client NetworkManager Problem

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 11 15:30:39 UTC 2018

I have *no* idea how you wrote that email, but STOP IT. ONLY send plain
text email to this list.

Several times, I tried to reply, and *nothing* of your email was in the
reply. I had to copy and paste the original. And then I had to manually
insert line breaks and ">".

Niederwimmer wrote:

> On my systems I have after update to last centos 1810 a big Problem \
> with the network??

> Om my system I have three NIC two are connected from hardware
> (hostdev) the last is connected from the bridge on the host.
> (NetworkManager was disabled)

> Now after the update the client can't start the NIC's correctly :-(
> My Problem is the bridged NIC ethX

> I must Install and activate the NetworkManager or I have a LSB Error
> [ INFO ] Network Manager is not active.
> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.
>          Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking...
> [FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.

> But now NetworkManager create sometimes a new config for a new ethX
> this is configured from dhcp, but I must have a static address to
> connect other server (ldap...)

> Also the resolv.conf is overwritten and have wrong nameserver (ipv6)
> and duplicate search entries ...

> Now it is the Problem after a reboot the network is not running
> correct with or without NetworkManager?

First, you can enable the network.service, and leave NetworkMangler disabled.

Second, you may want to force the name for the NIC (as opposed to letting
the default idiotic exy##xyx#).

Static address: you can do that one of two ways: first, to set a static IP
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-exx$, or you can set it to
BOOTPROTO=DHCP, but then have your dhcp server give it the same IP every
time, based on its MAC address (we do that latter here).

Hope that helps.

     mark