[CentOS] Running a command at startup

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Dec 13 13:17:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 09:43:56PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> OK....
>
> I have had problems in the past with crontab parsing a command. Would I use:
>
> @reboot root echo none | tee /sys/class/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger
>
> ?
>
> Or do I have to make a script and run that?

Since this is a crontab, you can use normal shell redirection:

@reboot root echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger

in a file in /etc/cron.d/

The 'echo foo | sudo tee' thing is what you do for people who are
using sudo to echo output into a file -- so often people think they
can do 'sudo echo none > /some/path' and will be surprised it doesn't
work.

I still think it makes sense to create it as a systemd unit.