[CentOS] VNC question

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:56:11 UTC 2018

Mike McCarthy, W1NR writes:

> On 12/19/18 4:36 AM, isdtor wrote:
> > We have run into the infamous black screen problem with tigervnc under CentOS7, which prompted me to look into how vnc is configured here.
> >
> > https://access.redhat.com/solutions/966063
> >
> > Am I reading this correctly - root needs to set up a systemd vnc service for every user and display individually? Compared to e.g. CentOS before 7, or indeed any other Linux/Unix system where vnc is completely under user control?
> >

> openSUSE always spawned VNC sessions for each user through xinetd. The
> user did not have "control" of the sessions.

Noted.

> Do you get a login screen? Does the screen go "black" after login? If
> so, in my experience, the user logging in already has a desktop session
> running (usually on the console). Make sure to try logging in with a
> user that is not already logged in. Linux can deal with multiple
> DIFFERENT users logged in but the desktops can only deal with one login
> and home directory per user.

What you describe doesn't make much sense to me either.

In this case, there are no user logins on the console, this is meant to be a remote login server. Anyone logging in via vnc gets the black screen treatment. There is no login screen, only the vnc password prompt.

For this type of machine, multi-user.target should be sufficient, although it is set to graphical.target right now.