[CentOS] Fedora Server - as an alternative ?

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Dec 20 21:52:34 UTC 2018

On 12/20/2018 5:18 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On 12/20/18 5:11 AM, lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
>> hi guys
>>
>> I wonder if any Centosian here have done something different than
>> only contemplated using Fedora Server, actually worked on it in
>> test/production envs.
>>
>> If here are some folks who have done it I want to ask if you deem it
>> to be a viable option to put it on at least portion of servers stack.
>>
>> Anybody?
>>
>> Many thanks, L.
>>

> I run CentOS 7 but with an updated server stack, including rebuilds
> (sonetimes with tweaks) of Fedora packages.
>
> Gives me a stable base with modern server software. Does take some
> work to get some stuff built.

This is what I end up doing on occasions as well, though I try to
restrict it to isolated forward-compatible shared libraries rather than
a full stack.

Unfortunately, the Fedora folks seem hell-bent on discouraging [1]
cross-distro compatibility in the name of Progress, so I don't expect
direct SRPM rebuilds to halt their increasing annoyance and difficulty
as time goes on.

-jc

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/HZNCOBZZFQ6GA2OKUJTII7D7QNLB3TE2/