[CentOS] Fedora Server - as an alternative ?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 21 13:32:57 UTC 2018

On 12/20/18 12:19 PM, lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
> On 20/12/2018 15:33, mark wrote:
>> lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
>>> hi guys
>>>
>>> I wonder if any Centosian here have done something different than only
>>> contemplated using Fedora Server, actually worked on it in
>>> test/production
>>> envs.
>>>
>>> If here are some folks who have done it I want to ask if you deem it to
>>> be a viable option to put it on at least portion of servers stack.
>>>
>>> Anybody?
>>>
>> I would not run it as a server. In a server and workstation environment,
>> you do *not* want to have daily multiple updates to software, you want
>> stability, or you're likely to have your users seriously aggravated by
>> you, for breaking their jobs far too frequently.
>>
>> Spin up a VM or two, for folks who actually (or think they actually)
>> need
>> newer software and utility stacks, but use something stable as a base.
>>
>>        mark "I do see how many update's my manager's fedora box gets..."
>>
> What I'm really looking forward to - why I thought I'd poke around,
> thus that question - is RDP in Wayland.
>
> When it get's into RHELs I worry be ages and I'd really love to try to
> introduce Linux desktops to those really dumb and unreformable users.
>
> Everything else - frequent updates, etc. These can be as rare as we
> users want them, another extra bit of time to think of it would not
> kill me, personally.

Why are we beating ourselves up about updates.  I have a couple Win7
systems here and updates are constant.  My daughter is often caught not
being able to do her homework as the system is applying updates on
powerup.  Or I wake up to my Win7 system running at the login after I
had suspended it the prior day, as some non-sleeping task took advantage
and did a required reboot overnight.

dnf update is now part of the startup and a regular process. Warnings
about needing to reboot, are really no different than what Win users
deal with.  Again, my daughter is often clicking on delay autoreboot for
an hour so she can finish her homework (and the other night she got the
BSOD for her efforts).