[CentOS] Fedora Server - as an alternative ?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 21 16:07:14 UTC 2018

On 12/21/18 10:25 AM, mark wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> I would not run it as a server. In a server and workstation
>>> environment, you do *not* want to have daily multiple updates to
>>> software, you want stability, or you're likely to have your users
>>> seriously aggravated by you, for breaking their jobs far too frequently.
>> Where do you get that with Fedora server you have to do daily multiple
>> updates?
>>
> I frequently see my manager's fedora box doing updates, multiple times a
> week.

Yes, updates come out practically every day.  So?  Microsoft sends out
updates to its desktops practically every day also.

I turned off auto updates on my Fedora notebook and tend to do them
Monday mornings to start the new week 'up to date'.  I have NOT turned
off auto updates on the Win7 systems here, as otherwise I might just
forget as I use them too infrequently myself.

Tracer is an interesting tool to see, after an update, what you have to
restart.  Sometimes just an app or a logout and back in. Sometimes a reboot.