[CentOS] Fedora Server - as an alternative ?

Steven Tardy sjt5atra at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 16:22:02 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:12 AM lejeczek via CentOS <centos at centos.org>
wrote:

>  any Centosian here have done something different than only
> contemplated using Fedora Server, actually worked on it in
> test/production envs.
>
> If here are some folks who have done it I want to ask if you deem it to
> be a viable option to put it on at least portion of servers stack.

I did a project 15 years ago converting a centralized web server to
individual Fedora containers for 500 orgs.

> Since Fedora only updates for 18 months after release, having to upgrade
each container to a new version annually was painful. Yeah it’s only this
php thing breaks or that perl module does something different. But when you
multiply that by 500x it gets painful quickly.
After having done that a time or two converted to centos containers which
made for less work for the admins and fewer angry users.

Another project used Fedora as a LAN router which worked great, but again
annual updates/reinstalls/reconfigurations got old. Migrated to pfSense
with a clicky-clicky UI which a junior admin can configure and couldn’t be
happier. Granted pfSense upgrades sometimes break, but 10 clicks later
everything needed is reconfigured and working.

Don’t get me wrong, Fedora has its place but sometimes needs a little more
care-and-feeding than some other choices for any given problem/solution.