[CentOS] compiling fedora srpm on CentOS

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Thu Dec 27 15:46:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 20:56 +0530, sthustfo wrote:
> I tried installing fedora grpc srpm on CentOS and ran into following error
> when installing srpm. I understand fedora makes use of more recent versions
> of openssl, glibc etc but why should this happen when installing source rpm?
>
> Any pointers/articles on how to go about building fedora srpms on CentOS?
> Any way out other than building directly using sources?
>
> rpm -i grpc-1.17.1-3.fc30.i686.rpm

Because that isn't the source rpm, it's the 32-bit binary rpm. You will
need the package name that ends .src.rpm

Building RPMs on CentOS is covered here:

  https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM

It doesn't really matter which system the SRPM comes from, your success
at building it will depend on whether the requirements for the build
can be satisfied on your system.

P.