[CentOS] CR repo update disaster for my desktop.

Mon Dec 3 10:14:13 UTC 2018
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018, Simon Matter wrote:

>> Le 03/12/2018 à 06:25, Rob Kampen a écrit :
>>> I enabled the CR repo and did the yum update. Some 800+ rpms were
>>> offered and all seemed to resolve depenancies OK, so yes it was
>>> started. The updates completed and all looked good, until the reboot.
>>
>> I got a similar disaster here. I guess the lesson to be learned is that
>> CR is nice to have on servers, but don't use it on desktops.
>
> My question is what will change with the final release of 7.6? I thought
> the CR repo usually holds all updates with the exception of
> centos-release, or are there more updates to come? I had the impression
> that in the past, the final release brought only cosmetic changes with the
> centos-release being updated.

I've seen zero problems on Desktops I've installed CR on.

If CR has issues, as you say you'd expect 7.6 to have problems.  If things are
failing with CR updates, you really want to investigate what's going on.

jh