[CentOS] CR repo update disaster for my desktop.

Tue Dec 4 16:30:48 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:54:58PM +1300, Rob Kampen wrote:
> So in an effort to narrow down the problem I also have an old Samsung laptop
> - i5 with an nvidia card - all up-to-date 7.5 - I thought I would try a more
> conservative upgrade approach.
>
> first updated to the CR kernel with yum upgrade kernel*
>
> then after successful reboot did an update to gdm* and gnome*
>
> another reboot and all is well
>
> then update of xorg* (only 20 files)
>
> Now it will not boot - keyboard is non responsive so cannot even do a Ctrl
> Alt F2 to access a shell. Old kernel is also non boot. Left this machine for
> now and back to my main desktop workstation.

Where does it stop booting?  Can you remove 'rhgb quiet' from the
kernel command line and see how it is booting?  Also, are you using
UEFI boot or the old BIOS boot?

> I will wait until 7.6 is officially released, watch the list for a week or
> two and then with much fear and trepidation give it a go. <sad face>

7.6 has been released, so you should expect these packages to start
arriving on all your CentOS 7 systems.