[CentOS] LVM failure after CentOS 7.6 upgrade -- possible corruption

Wed Dec 5 20:14:43 UTC 2018
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 11:38:50 AM PST Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> You might want to point out which list you posted it on since it
> doesn't seem to be this one.

Apparently there's a size limit for emails. I've resent with one of the output
files hosted on a personal webserver and it went through.

For your issue, in my own testing, simply choosing an older kernel didn't
resolve the "boot from a single drive degraded" issue.

My suggestions for resolution:

1) Boot up on another system.
2) Install the degraded disk.
3) Install another drive to match the degraded disk.
4) Set up mdadm to pair the two drives, wait for them to sync.
5) Install the newly fixed pair back into the original system and see if it
boots.

In any event, I'd consider dd'ing the entirety of the drive in its current
form to another disk so you can recover to this point in time. Maybe even only
try to resolve things with the dd'd copy so you don't risk wherever you're at
now.

Good luck.

Ben