[CentOS] Spamassassin + Postfix : delete spam mail on the server ?

Tue Dec 18 17:36:07 UTC 2018
Andrea Dell'Amico <adellam-lists at sevenseas.org>

> On 18 Dec 2018, at 16:37, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>

> On 12/18/18 3:34 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> On 18/12/2018 08:08, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My mail server is running on CentOS 7 with Postfix, Dovecot and
>>> Spamassassin. I get quite a lot of spam on a few accounts, and
>>> Spamassassin does its job fine. Spam mail is identified correctly, and
>>> it looks like there are no false positives, e. g. valid mail is never
>>> identified as spam.
>>>
>>> When a message is flagged as spam, the subject line is rewritten to
>>> begin with [SPAM]. Then, a filter in Mozilla Thunderbird is setup, and
>>> when a subject line begins with [SPAM] the message is directly sent to
>>> Trash.
>>>
>>> I've documented the whole configuration here:
>>>
>>>   * https://blog.microlinux.fr/spamassassin-centos/
>>>
>>> The problem with this setup is that spam mail is still delivered, and I
>>> need Thunderbird's filters to weed out incoming mail. And when I'm using
>>> my webmail (running SquirrelMail), my inbox is a tsunami of unread
>>> [SPAM] messages.
>>>
>>> So I'd like to go a step further and delete all messages flagged [SPAM]
>>> directly on the server. It doesn't look like Spamassassin provides this
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> Did any of you guys succeed in doing this anyway?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Niki
>>>
>> I've used for quite some time now a combination of
>> postfix+SA+MailScanner for this, not delivering mails, but letting those
>> in a quarantine, and using Mailwatch (http frontend) to let people
>> release mail from the quarantine, etc ..
>
> Thanks, Fabian. I was looking for something like that for long time. I was using the above under amavisd-new. And as I didn't find GUI front-end ;-( I ended up using maia mailguard. By that point I switched servers to FreeBSD, and there is FreeBSD maia port which is being actively maintained by brilliant person, so that may be the best source to get maia from, not the main maia website.
>
> Thanks again, it looks like mailwatch does everything I needed (and found in maia): per user white/blacklists, other individual setting, quarantene release, etc.

Another alternative that does not alter the original configuration is to use the dovecot sieve plugin. It can manage both global and per user filters, so you can provide a global filter that discards - or, better, move into a dedicated folder - all the messages marked as spam.