[CentOS] VNC question

Wed Dec 19 11:37:42 UTC 2018
Mike McCarthy, W1NR <sysop at w1nr.net>

On 12/19/18 4:36 AM, isdtor wrote:
> We have run into the infamous black screen problem with tigervnc under CentOS7, which prompted me to look into how vnc is configured here.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/966063
>
> Am I reading this correctly - root needs to set up a systemd vnc service for every user and display individually? Compared to e.g. CentOS before 7, or indeed any other Linux/Unix system where vnc is completely under user control?

openSUSE always spawned VNC sessions for each user through xinetd. The
user did not have "control" of the sessions.

Do you get a login screen? Does the screen go "black" after login? If
so, in my experience, the user logging in already has a desktop session
running (usually on the console). Make sure to try logging in with a
user that is not already logged in. Linux can deal with multiple
DIFFERENT users logged in but the desktops can only deal with one login
and home directory per user.

Mike, W1NR