[CentOS] VNC question

Wed Dec 19 13:33:56 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 09:36:44AM +0000, isdtor wrote:
> We have run into the infamous black screen problem with tigervnc
> under CentOS7, which prompted me to look into how vnc is configured
> here.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/966063
>
> Am I reading this correctly - root needs to set up a systemd vnc
> service for every user and display individually? Compared to
> e.g. CentOS before 7, or indeed any other Linux/Unix system where
> vnc is completely under user control?

No.  Users can run vncserver and attach to them like you could before,
or you can run Xvnc -inetd, just as a systemd service/socket pair
instead of out of xinetd.

The black screen problem that you mentioned does sound familiar --
I've seen it with VNC clients that don't support OpenGL, with the
GNOME desktop (which uses a compositing display manager), it just
crashes when you log in.