[CentOS] Fedora Server - as an alternative ?

Fri Dec 21 09:20:16 UTC 2018
Patrick Bégou <Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr>

Le 20/12/2018 à 16:21, Chris Schanzle via CentOS a écrit :
> On 12/20/18 10:07 AM, Patrick Bégou wrote:
>> Le 20/12/2018 à 14:11, lejeczek via CentOS a écrit :
>>> hi guys
>>>
>>> I wonder if any Centosian here have done something different than only
>>> contemplated using Fedora Server, actually worked on it in
>>> test/production envs.
>>>
>>> If here are some folks who have done it I want to ask if you deem it
>>> to be a viable option to put it on at least portion of servers stack.
>>>
>>> Anybody?
>>>
>>> Many thanks, L.

>> Using fedora will lead you to reinstall servers frequently, for almost
>> each new versions I think.
>>
>> Many years ago I was using opensuse as some of my servers were running
>> SLES and migration between versions was  realy difficult without full
>> reinstall every 1,5 to 2 years...
>>

>> Patrick
>

> That's just...err, misinformation.  The Fedora team works very hard to
> enable upgrading (without a clean install) from one release to the
> next...often skipping releases is fine (e.g., 27 to 29).
>
> That said, I only have a few Fedora boxes (used like servers -- that
> is, not on people's desks) for my users that need more bleeding edge
> software stacks and additional packages than CentOS + EPEL can
> provide.  Due to the heavy flow of packages updates and kernel
> updates, it takes a special kind of user to cope with updates,
> reboots, and occasional breakage.
>
> Chris

... or just 27 years of migration experience :-D (all OS included). Even
with Fedora laptop, but of course it was many years ago with realy old
versions (4 to 5 to 6...). No doubtthat things have been improved but
between theory and practice....

Patrick