[CentOS] Issues with NVidia video driver and CentOS

Phelps, Matthew mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:58:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Felipe Westfields <
felipe.westfields at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having issues with a quad video card on CentOS.
>
> We have several systems on CentOS 6.8 and CentOS 6.9. The installed
> hardware is:
>
> Video card - Nvidia NVS quadro 440
> PC - Dell OptiPlex 9020
>
> Whenever you update the kernel, it kills the graphical interface. The
> system appears to lock up and freeze during a reboot, but you can still get
> into it with SSH, or, if you're at the console, control-alt-F2 gets you to
> a command prompt.
>
> If you exclude the kernel update when applying yum update, it is usually
> fine. If the kernel update is applied, and you roll back the update, that
> sometimes gets you back into the graphical console, but more likely than
> not, it won't.
>
> Not sure where to go with this.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> FW

Which version of the driver? How did you install it?

If you're not already using it, I heartily recommend using the ELRepo
repository, http://elrepo.org/tiki/. We have several dozen CO 6.9 machines
with various Nvidia cards and except for a recent version that had an issue
with DVI connections (not the repository's fault), we haven't had any
problems.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility