[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Feb 15 23:05:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 05:31:42PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 15 February 2018 at 17:19, Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca> wrote:
> > I have a UEFI system, but I want to install CentOS on a MBR (not GPT)
> > hard disk.
> >
> > The installation program keeps telling me that I must create an "EFI
> > system partition on a GPT disk mounted at /boot/efi".
> >
> > I can't find a way to work around this. Is there a solution?
> >

> If the installer is doing that then it usually means that the UEFI
> firmware is either
> a) not in BIOS compatibility mode
> b) does not respond in a way that Linux detects or
> c) the disk is larger than what BIOS compatibility mode will allow.
>
> Otherwise anaconda should default to MBR unless it finds the hardware
> does not know how to deal with MBR.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/chap-anaconda-boot-options

I had the same issue back when I installed 7.x on this box. I couldn't
find a way around it, so I finally just went with the flow.

I definitely DID have it in legacy mode, or at least the firmware's
GUI said I did.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding