[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:18:15 UTC 2018

On 15 February 2018 at 18:05, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 05:31:42PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On 15 February 2018 at 17:19, Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca> wrote:
>> > I have a UEFI system, but I want to install CentOS on a MBR (not GPT)
>> > hard disk.
>> >
>> > The installation program keeps telling me that I must create an "EFI
>> > system partition on a GPT disk mounted at /boot/efi".
>> >
>> > I can't find a way to work around this. Is there a solution?
>> >

>> If the installer is doing that then it usually means that the UEFI
>> firmware is either
>> a) not in BIOS compatibility mode
>> b) does not respond in a way that Linux detects or
>> c) the disk is larger than what BIOS compatibility mode will allow.
>>
>> Otherwise anaconda should default to MBR unless it finds the hardware
>> does not know how to deal with MBR.
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/chap-anaconda-boot-options
>>

> I had the same issue back when I installed 7.x on this box. I couldn't
> find a way around it, so I finally just went with the flow.
>
> I definitely DID have it in legacy mode, or at least the firmware's
> GUI said I did.

OK I am going with documentation not being right and/or I have been
very lucky with my installs.

The only other thing I can think of is that the disk was already
formatted to GPT. In that case it has to be EFI. [I had a disk which
was GPT partitioned and removing that was quite a challenge as I had
done a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10' and it still kept
coming up as GPT. I believe I had to run a different disk command to
really clean it.]

> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
>   "And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,
>   Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
>  will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding
>       it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever."

Stephen J Smoogen.