[CentOS] Mirror Problem

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Fri Feb 16 15:39:52 UTC 2018

> Date: Friday, February 16, 2018 06:18:38 -0800
> From: David Nelson <david at davidnelson.net>
>
> On Feb 16, 2018, at 05:36, Günther J. Niederwimmer
> <gjn at gjn.priv.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I have thousands of this messages on my servers ??
>>
>> Is this a Problem on my site or is the infrastructure broken??
>> /etc/cron.hourly/0yum-hourly.cron:
>>
>> Could not get metalink https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?
>> repo=epel-7&arch=x86_64 error was
>> 14: HTTPS Error 503 - Service Unavailable
>
> Not just you. I’ve seen that error on my hourly yum check on my
> personal Linode server, though I haven’t been in a big hurry to
> investigate yet as it only appears once or twice a day.

You might want to try a "yum check-update" manually (maybe only
against the epel repo). If you get an error try a "yum clean all" and
then try the "... check-update" again. I didn't have a problem just
now with the epel repo, but then again always start my checks with a
"clean all".

Of course this isn't a CentOS repo, so if you continue to have
problems a report would need to be made with epel/fedora.

As a note/side question ... I've never understood why this script
(which I never leave installed) is in "cron.hourly". I would think
that "cron.daily" would be a sufficient frequency. This appears to be
a centos "touched" script so can't tell if upstream puts it in hourly
or centos does.