[CentOS] CentOS 7 1708 won't boot after grub2 update

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Feb 20 16:00:59 UTC 2018

On Feb 19, 2018, at 5:00 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at ilk.uu.se> wrote:

> This is the third fresh install of CentOS 7 1708 the last two months that
> won't boot after a regular "yum update" just after the fresh install has
> finished.

Define “won’t boot”.  Does it stop:

1. Before the GRUB2 screen?
2. Between the GRUB2 screen and root device mount?
3. After root device mount but before entering runlevel 5?
4. Something else?

Maybe post a screenshot to imgur.

> Am I missing something here?

You’re a computer person.  This means people come to you with problems they want you to solve.  I know this because it is a law of the universe; Q.E.D.

Is “won’t boot” the sort of report you’d like to receive from those depending on you for support?  Give us the sort of problem report you’d most dearly love to receive from your users.