[CentOS] a few simple questions about upgrading an "official" centos 7 release

hw hw at gc-24.de
Thu Feb 22 14:34:57 UTC 2018

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, hw wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>    ... snip ...
>
>>>     oh, i appreciate the need for caution; on the other hand, it
>>> always struck me that the training room is the *ideal* place for
>>> students to experiment with things they're too nervous or unsure
>>> of to try back at the office. this is typically why, when i'm
>>> teaching, i save friday afternoon for trying things that are
>>> typically not covered by standard courseware.
>>>
>>>     so as long as one delivers the proper caution, i see no problem
>>> with something like, "ok, you might never have to do this at your
>>> site, but just in case you ever need to upgrade your kernel, let's
>>> try it and see what happens." so if the need ever arises, at least
>>> they can say they've done it once and know what the end result is
>>> supposed to be.
>>
>> The students you need to teach things like this are the ones that
>> will never become good admins.
>
>    uh, that's kind of a condescending attitude to take towards students
> who simply want to learn. are you this way with everyone?

Yes, and there´s nothing condescending about this.  A student who is too
chicken to try out basic things, be it within dedicated testing environments
or, if need be, otherwise, will not become a good admin and is probably
not a person well suited to bearing the responsibility that will be bestowed
upon them, partly due to a lack of good judgement.

I think that is something you should teach your students --- in the hope that
their attitude may change.  Isn´t that your intention to begin with?