[CentOS] RADIUS

Richard Grainger grainger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:34:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> As a customer visting a store, would you go to the lengths of configuring
> your
> cell phone (or other wireless device) to authenticate with a RADIUS server
> in
> order to gain internet access through the wirless network of the store?
>
> From what I´m being told, everyone already has internet access with their
> cell
> phones from their phone service provider and is apparently happy with that
> even though the amount of data they can transmit is ridiculously low.  So
> why
> would anyone do any configuring and have to worry about protecting ther
> privacy
> when and for using the wireless network of a shop they´re visting?
>
> I have no idea what the lengths of configuring might be other than that
> anything
> you try to do with a cell phone or a tablet is so extremely painful or
> outright
> impossible that I only touch them when I get paid for it.  Perhaps RADIUS
> authentication is easy with such devices.

Corporate mobile devices are typically configured using MDM to already
have the company 802.1x profile so they "just work" on the corporate
WiFi.  Guest mobile devices will connect to another SSID, which
usually only allows access to the internet (sometimes after agreeing
to a AUP via a captive web portal).