[CentOS] Going back to a minimal system : strange problem

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:12:04 UTC 2018

On 02/26/2018 06:03 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> This script worked perfectly for some time. But now it seems like
> something has changed somewhere under the hood. Because when I run it
> now, the script fails at the final package removal stage.

I would hazard to guess that the flaw is simply that from time to time,
packages are added to the minimal install as a side effect of adding in
new dependencies.  If you had a minimal install and simply ran "yum
update", you would periodically see yum report that it would install new
packages for dependencies, in addition to the updates.  As that is the
case, you will need to update your minimal package list immediately
before running the pruning script in order to avoid removal of core
packages.

I wonder if it might work to use a yum transaction, in which you first
remove everything (which avoids the need for the list entirely), then
adds the minimal package set, and then commits the transaction...