[CentOS] Ubiquiti Model UAP-AC-PRO

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Feb 26 17:13:33 UTC 2018

On 02/15/2018 08:41 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> It looks like the setup requires the use of software;  they have some
> packages that are ready made for Ubuntu and Debian, but not RedHat
>
> https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro
>
> Have any of you tried or succeeded in installation this on Centos 7.4?
I have several Ubiquiti UniFi access points (nitpick: they're not
routers, but access points) on the LAN here: 2 UAP-AC-HD, 5 UAP-AC-Pro,
and 4 UAP-AC-MeshPro outdoor units.  The UniFi controller is very handy
for administering these access points, and, for this many over a network
of our physical size it is absolutely necessary.  And these APs have
proven solid; last year for the solar eclipse we provided WiFi on two
separate systems for over 1,300 people, and both systems held the load
(public WiFi was on a loaned Cisco Meraki system, while staff,
volunteer, and VIP WiFi was on the Ubiquiti.  Those UAP-AC-HD access
points are killer good!).

I rebuilt from source the RPM packages linked in the message on the
Ubiquiti forum at
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unofficial-RHEL-CentOS-UniFi-Controller-rpm-packages/td-p/1744595

I am currently running 5.4.16 here, but have a 5.6.x at another
location, which is working fine, but to administer some Ubiquiti
switches, not APs.

One of the key things to getting this to work really smoothly is to
provide local-only, on-site authoritative DNS for the FQDN of 'unifi.'
Yes, as a top-level domain, the single word 'unifi' needs DNS for the
AP's to be really happy and for AP adoption to work seamlessly without
having to ssh into the AP individually and do a 'set-inform' to the IP
address or FQDN of the UniFi controller.  You can do this with
/etc/hosts, but putting the zone in there for your loacl recursive
resolver makes it really seamless.

There are also some firewalld settings to do, opening some ports. Here
are mine for the running 5.4.16:

[lowen at dhcp-pool157 ~]$ ssh root at unifi
Last login: Mon Feb 26 11:49:12 2018 from dhcp-pool157
[root at b1dc-bc1-1-hs21 ~]# firewall-cmd --list-ports
8443/tcp 8080/tcp
[root at b1dc-bc1-1-hs21 ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)
[root at b1dc-bc1-1-hs21 ~]#

Layer 3 adoption works fine with this set of firewall ports open; none
of my AP's have Layer 2 adjacency to the controller, so the set-inform
URL either needs set or DNS needs to resolve the 'unifi' FQDN to the
controller for discovery and adoption to succeed.

The 5.6.30 controller system I installed last week at a different site
shows a larger set of ports open:
[root at c6-2850 ~]# ssh root at unifi
Last login: Mon Feb 26 12:08:12 2018 from 10.1.1.3
[root at files ~]# rpm -qa|grep unifi
unifi-controller-5.6.30-1.el7.centos.x86_64
[root at files ~]# firewall-cmd --list-ports
8443/tcp 8080/tcp 8880/tcp 8843/tcp 3478/udp
[root at files ~]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)
[root at files ~]#

(for what it's worth)