[CentOS] Any alternatives for the horrible reposync

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:45:39 UTC 2018

On 27 February 2018 at 06:11, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently trying to mirror a couple of yum repositories and the only
> tool that seems to be available for this is reposync.
> Unfortunately reposync for some inexplicable reason seems to use the yum
> config of the local system as a basis for its work which makes no sense
> and creates all kinds of problems where cache directories and metadata
> gets mixed up.
> Are there any alternatives? Some repos support rsync but not all of them
> so I'm looking for something that works for all repos.

It is not 'inexplicable'. reposync was primarily built for a user to
sync down the repositories they are using to be local.. so using
yum.conf makes sense. The fact that it can be used for a lot of other
things is built into various configs which the man page covers. As
John Hodrien mentioned, you can use the -C flag to point it to a
different config file. This is the way to use it if you are wanting to
download other files and data. Tools like cobbler wrap the reposync in
this fashion.

> Regards,
>   Dennis

Stephen J Smoogen.