[CentOS] Issues with NVidia video driver and CentOS

Tue Feb 6 16:52:39 UTC 2018
Mikhail Utin <mikhailutin at hotmail.com>

I think that it is more about the card than the kernel. You may try to install different card to test. I would report that to Nvidia. You may also try how it works in CentOS 7. Time to move on? I also use 6.9 but in plain configuration.

Mikhail Utin

________________________________
From: CentOS <centos-bounces at centos.org> on behalf of Felipe Westfields <felipe.westfields at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:40
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] Issues with NVidia video driver and CentOS

I'm having issues with a quad video card on CentOS.

We have several systems on CentOS 6.8 and CentOS 6.9. The installed
hardware is:

Video card - Nvidia NVS quadro 440
PC - Dell OptiPlex 9020

Whenever you update the kernel, it kills the graphical interface. The
system appears to lock up and freeze during a reboot, but you can still get
into it with SSH, or, if you're at the console, control-alt-F2 gets you to
a command prompt.

If you exclude the kernel update when applying yum update, it is usually
fine. If the kernel update is applied, and you roll back the update, that
sometimes gets you back into the graphical console, but more likely than
not, it won't.

Not sure where to go with this.

Any suggestions?

FW